Wednesday, May 21, 2008

News from the Missionary

Cory is serving in the Mexico Mexico City South Mission. He entered the MTC in Provo on February 20, 2008. He was scheduled to fly to Mexico on April 21, 2008, however, the Mexican Consulate did not sign visas for the Elders until May 5, 2008. At that time only nine elders had their visas signed so the rest stayed in the MTC. Cory was lucky enough to have his visa signed and he flew to Puerto Vallarta then to Mexico City on May 8, 2008. He was very anxious to get into the mission field!
Now, news from Mexico:
We spoke at a baptism on Sunday, May 11, 2008. It was a good one, but I'm not sure why we did it that day. I had to get pictures today at the offices and saw some of the sites of Mexico City. There are some huge buildings and tons of awesome artwork. It was really cool cuz I met up with all the guys from my district except the ones still waiting for their visas. I'm lucky my name was at the beginning of the alphabet.
Having a Gringo Companion helps me to know how I want and don't want to say some things! And with talking to lots of ppl and members no worries with the language. They all say I speak good and should pick it up within 3-6 months:)
We are over one ward, the ward that is covered by our area Indepencia, one of the areas of our zone is Contreras. The people are nice and it's much like a regular ward, they have sacrment first, not a whole lot of members.
We get to email from a little internet cafe that has six computers in a little room right next to the road.
On Mother's Day, we were able to call Cory and he said things were really good. He did mention that there are dogs everywhere and they have two guard/street dogs on their block. When he flew in to Mexico City it was raining and he said it was huge rain! However, the next day was nice and he was getting a farmer's tan. He said he had been getting headaches, but he wasn't sure if it's from hiking up and down the massive street hills or if he wasn't getting enough water.

I look forward to Mondays like never before because that's when I might hear from Cory. Boy, I miss him!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kayleen your blog is most impressive and I am so excited to be able to keep up with what is going on in your family and with Cory. Way to go:)